Paying for Treatment

No child in Delaware who needs mental health or substance abuse treatment will be denied access because of the inability to pay.

If you have health insurance:

Call the number on the back of your insurance card. Ask if you have coverage for behavioral health services. If you think your child may have a substance abuse problem, be sure to tell the person you want someone who specializes in that kind of a problem.  Ask about the therapists who are nearest to where you live.

If you have Medicaid or Chip (See box below):
Use your Medicaid Insurance card the same way as described in the “If you have health insurance” section.

If you cannot afford medical insurance for your child and you do not qualify for Medicaid, you may be eligible to buy very low-cost medical insurance through the State of Delaware Healthy Children Program.

For information call:
Health Benefits Manager 1-800-996-9969 or
Division of Social Services 1-800-372-2022

If you are afraid you will be unable to afford services because you do not have Insurance or Medicaid:

The Division of Prevention and Behavioral Health Services (DPBHS) provides a range of treatment services for children and adolescents up to their 18th birthday.

Back to Top