Click View more/less to view or hide details.

View the regulations that licensed facilities must follow. View more/less

Here you will learn if your program requires a license to operate. View more/less

Certain types of care are not considered “child care” under Delaware Code and DELACARE Regulations.  The following facilities that run for less than 24 hours per day do not need a license:

  • Camps with permits from public health;
  • Programs run by the State of Delaware;
  • Summer religion classes that last less than a month, for example, vacation bible school;
  • Programs that have an onsite child care center where parents do not leave;
  • Programs that offer free activities for children, who are at least six, where children can come and go as they please, and there is no agreement with parents that care is  provided;
  • Programs for school-age children that meet an emergency or special need, or programs that teach lessons, for example, dancing, karate, or painting; and
  • Programs run by schools that provide regular and thorough instruction through at least the 6th grade that are registered with the Department of Education.

People who run these types of programs should get an Exemption Letter from the Office of Child Care Licensing (OCCL) as proof of their status as an “Exempt” program.  Holding an “Exemption” will verify that the program is not providing “unlicensed care” which would be in violation of Delaware Code and DELACARE Regulations.  The owner or governing body of the facility must complete the Application for License Exemption and submit it to the appropriate OCCL office.

New Castle County
Licensing Supervisor
Office of Child Care Licensing
3411 Silverside Road
Concord Plaza-Hagley Building
Wilmington, DE 19810
(302) 892-5800

Kent or Sussex Counties
Licensing Supervisor
Office of Child Care Licensing
821 Silver Lake Blvd., Suite 103
Dover, DE 19904
(302) 739-5487

Back to top