~ Our Mission: To ensure safeguards and enhance quality for children in out-of-home care. ~

As of June 15, 2020, all Delaware families may access child care and all licensed child care providers may operate, provided they follow applicable DELACARE regulations as well as the additional health and safety requirements developed by the Office of Child Care Licensing and the Division of Public Health.

Families in need of child care may use the Office of Child Care Licensing "search for child care" map, recognizing that not all providers may have reopened at this time or may have limited enrollment or hours. Please contact the program directly to inquire about their current availability of care.

For more information about child care during COVID-19, providers and families should go to coronavirus.delaware.gov/child-care.


Large family child care providers are required to follow Delacare: Regulations for Family and Large Family Child Care Homes to operate a licensed large family child care home.

DELACARE: Regulations for Family and Large Family Child Care Homes
Effective 05/01/2019
DELACARE: Regulations for Family and Large Family Child Care Homes
Effective 01/01/2017


These forms are used for large family child care homes and will help you to follow DELACARE Rules. View more/less

Post a Job Opening

If you wish to hire a large family assistant or provider, create a free job posting. Your posting will automatically be deleted after 4 weeks.

Upcoming Training

Information Sessions

If you are interested in opening a Large Family Child Care Home, please review the upcoming 2020 training calendar for FCC and LFCC. Once you decide on a day and time, sign up for Large Family Child Care Home Information Session to be registered or call 302-892-5800 in New Castle County or 302-739-5487 in Kent and Sussex Counties.

Back to top

Administration of Medication

As a child care provider, in order to give medicine to children, Administration of Medication training is needed. Once you successfully pass the test, you will receive your certification. View more/less

Self-Study Guide to Prepare for the Test

Due to COVID-19, the Office of Child Care Licensing is not conducting in-person testing. Once the State returns to normal operating procedures, you will be able to register for a test.

If you are planning to administer non-intravenous injections, additional training as stipulated by the child’s health care provider is required. The following forms will also need to be completed: Diabetes Medical Management Plan, Sample Release and Waiver of Liability for Non-intravenous Injection and Sample Authorization for Care by Non-Intravenous Injection.

Back to top

Delaware Stars

Delaware Stars can help you improve the quality of your program. View more/less

If you are interested in participating in Delaware Stars, a quality improvement program, you must first be sure that you meet the eligibility requirements. Programs are eligible to apply to Delaware Stars if they have been open and serving families with a current, valid license from the Office of Child Care Licensing for a minimum of 6 months and at the time of application are not under any enforcement action, including suspension, probation, or warning of probation. In addition, there must be no outstanding concerns with Purchase of Care (POC) or the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP). Please visit Delaware Stars to apply.

Back to top


Grants and other funding are available to improve the quality of care or to purchase necessary items.View more/less

Capacity Grant

The Capacity Grant provides funding for quality improvement technical assistance strategies and grant resources to licensed child care programs to increase the supply of child care in areas where it is limited. Please visit Capacity Grant to apply.

T.E.A.C.H. Early Childhood Delaware

T.E.A.C.H. Early Childhood Delaware provides scholarships for those working in licensed child care centers and family and large family child care homes. To learn more, please visit T.E.A.C.H.

Back to top

Subsidy Programs

The Child and Adult Care Food Program and Purchase of Care are two programs that help improve low income families' access to quality child care homes and centers. View more/less

The Child & Adult Care Food Program

The Child & Adult Care Food Program improves the quality of care for children by making it more affordable for many low-income families. Through CACFP, more than 3.3 million children receive nutritious meals and snacks each day.  See how CACFP can make a difference in the quality of care! As a participating program, you will become part of a nationwide effort to improve children’s nutrition and will be teaching those children the foundation of a healthy lifestyle.

The following three agencies Catholic Charities, Delaware Parents Association, and Children and Families First manage the CACFP for child care centers, large family child care homes, and family child care homes in Delaware. lease contact an agency for more information about joining the CACFP.

Purchase of Care

Purchase of Care (POC) is a program that helps low-income families pay for their child care.
As a provider, you have the option of contracting with the Division of Social Services DSS) to care for children enrolled in POC.  Becoming a POC provider means that you will accept DSS payment rates and will not charge parents any additional fees, other than those allowed in the contract.

If you do not want to come under POC contract and you are a licensed provider you can still accept POC children via Self-Arranged. This means the POC parent pays your full ate directly, but is only reimbursed the POC rate portion by DSS after you sign their monthly receipt for services.

If you are interested in contracting with POC, please contact the DSS Child Care Monitor for your county.

New Castle County   302-255-9670
Kent County              302-739-4437
Sussex County          302-856-5569

Back to top

Useful Links

These websites may be used to enhance your program, provide you with information, and help answer questions you may have.