In Delaware, more than half of all mothers work outside the home. That means there is a need for child care. If you love working with young children and want to put your creative, nurturing, and organizational skills to work – consider becoming a large family child care provider.
Is large family child care for you?
There is a need for high-quality child care services in Delaware. Opening a large family child care is not for those who seek a simple, easy way to make a living; it can be very demanding. However, running a child care is one of the most important and rewarding jobs to be found. In a world where most people find their jobs uninspiring and without deeper meaning, working with children and their families offers an opportunity to make a real contribution to the world and discover new joy each day.
What are the benefits?
- Earn income while at home
- Build your own business
- Be your own boss and set your own work hours
- Fill an important community need
- Be a resource to families
- Have a positive impact on children
- Spend more time with your own children
- Playmates for your own children
The Office of Child Care Licensing can help you become a large family child care provider by:
- Assisting you in becoming licensed by the State of Delaware
- Guiding you on setting up your child care business
- Giving you information on child development, nutrition, health, and safety issues
- Giving you information about resources available to providers, such as the Child and Adult Care Food Program that assists in paying for meals served in child care and the Purchase of Care subsidy
- Referring parents who are looking for child care to your business via the (href child care search)
- Connecting you with other child care professionals and professional child care associations
For more information on starting a large family child care home business, contact your local Office of Child Care Licensing at 302-892-5800 (NCC) or 302-739-5487 (Kent and Sussex) or sign up for a Large Family Child Care Home Information Session.
Delacare: Rules for Large Family Child Care Homes were created to protect the health, safety, well- being, and positive development of children in licensed family child care homes. Providers must follow these rules at all times.